Eva Wienbergen


By Eva Wienbergen
October, 1918, a new State Normal School opened its doors to 60 students with five teachers and a president. The doors were the entrance to the third floor of the Dickinson Elks Club. The president was Samuel T. May.

The establishment of the institution in Dickinson was the result of a need for trained teachers in the “West River Country” or “The Slope.” According to figures in Dr. Osbourne Belsheim's book, “The Story of Dickinson State”, there were 1,131 teachers in the area west and south of the Missouri River. Of this number only 155 had attended a Normal School, or, indeed, any school of higher education. Of the remaining 976 some were high school graduates, but 303 could not qualify for even the lowest requirements for a teaching certificate.

The institutions provided by the State Constitution in 1889 were located in the eastern part of the state with the exception of the Capitol in Bismarck. The western counties were so sparsely populated that no need was felt for any institutions there.

However, with the completion of the railroad across the state the homesteaders began to take up claims west of the river. Their numbers grew rapidly as branch lines were established. The city of Dickinson was largely a town of buffalo hunters and buffalo bones collectors and a few stores to provide supplies for an increasing number of farmers.

By 1912 the city was growing rapidly. M. L. McBride was a candidate for election to the North Dakota Senate and H. C. Berry to the House of Representatives. Both men were Dickinson attorneys, and both men advocated the establishment of a normal school in Dickinson. Citizens of the west river country agreed in general that Dickinson was the best location for the proposed institution.

To accomplish the addition of another state school it would be necessary for the legislature to pass a resolution to amend the State Constitution providing for this addition. Then the voters would have to give their approval. In the 1913 session of the legislature the Stark County delegation consisting of M. L. McBride, C. C. Turner, Fred Turner and Henry Kline tried to get such a resolution passed, but it failed. In 1915, however, it passed. Now the voters must accept or reject the amendment.

A state-wide campaign was launched by the Dickinson Chamber of Commerce, Alfred White, president of the Chamber and John Orchard, secretary, took active charge. E. L. Peterson, editor of “The Dickinson Press” was influential in getting most of the newspapers in the state behind the amendment. More than 2,000,000 pieces of advertising material including cartoons were issued and over 200,000 letters were mailed to voters.

The campaign was highly successful. The amendment passed by a majority of some 18,000 votes, and the new normal was officially born. In addition to the Stark County legislators P. S. Berg, supt. Of the Dickinson Public Schools, W. L. Richards, T. D. Casey, Ed Hughes and George Senour are just a few of the business and professional men mentioned as promoters of the school.

President S. T. May had many problems to solve in establishing the school. He was a tall, massively built man whose appearance inspired confidence. He could be stern when necessary, but he was very friendly, a good conversationalist and he loved children. Now he could help the children of the Slope by training teachers for them.

Upon arriving in Dickinson, 1918, he discovered that P. S. Berg had conducted a summer session for teachers in which 104 students were enrolled. This summer school had been authorized by the Board of Regents and funded with $1,500 of appropriated money.

Mr. Berg was a great help to Mr. May. He offered the schools in Dickinson for a practice ground for student teachers. They would work under the supervision of the regular teachers and he would act as supervisor and general critic. Both men deplored the lack of training provided for most of the teachers in the “West River” country.

Space for the new normal, hiring a faculty, determining a course of study, persuading students to enroll securing a permanent location, appropriations from the legislature — these were only a few of the many problems facing the new president.

The first was solved by the Board of Regents’ renting the third floor of the Elks Club building at $222.22 a month, the armory at $50 and part of the city library at $66. Lewis F. Crawford, president of the Board of Regents, was appointed to oversee the progress of the new normal.

For a permanent campus Judge Maser suggested Signal Butte west and north of the Dickinson business area. 67 acres surrounding Signal Butte were purchased by the city and county and donated to the state.

The first building to be erected on this she was Stickney Hall, a dormitory housing 54 girls. It cost $100,000.

The first faculty members were Willis Bell, a PhD from Wisconsin University, in charge of education courses; Martha Emry, PhD from the University of Iowa, to teach history and government and to be dean of women; Grace C. Haag, M.A. University of Nebraska, domestic science; Mabel B. Harrison, music and art and Theodora Schmiler, commercial courses. Of these five only Mabel B. Harrison remained long enough to teach in the new building. (Note: Pictures of the first faculty may be found on page 28 of Belsheim's “The Story of Dickinson State.)

Maude Klinefelter, who had been Mr. May's secretary when he was supt. Of schools, Madison, S.D., became secretary, treasurer and registrar. She remained with the college for more than 40 years and was secretary to the first four presidents. She kept all the records, signed all the checks, acted as banker for many students and did numerous other jobs. She was a tiny little woman with deep religious convictions and a determination to further all college activities. Her insistence on saving the tax payer's money sometimes irritated many members of the faculty When one of the professors asked her for another red pencil, she said, “Bring back the remainder of the one I gave you last week.”
Her greatest joy was her little Ford coupe, which she called 'Tony’ Her salary was $70 a month the first year of the college operation, but her dedication never faltered during her long tenure.

The second building on the campus was the power plant to provide heat for Stickney Hall and all the other buildings which were to appear on the Signal Butte and the surrounding acreage.

It was a great moment for the college when $240,000 was appropriated to construct the main building, later named May Hall. When a deficit of $15,000 appeared, the administration was left with two alternatives — either leave the building in a state of temporary completion or raise the money locally. President May asked the cooperation of the citizens. Money collected would be considered a loan to be returned to the donors when appropriated funds became available. Finally it was decided to borrow $5,000 from each of the three banks. Underwriters for the loans were R. H. Johnson, Dr. V. H. Stickney, Dr. George Perkins, W. C. Crawford, Harve Robinson, John Berringer and Dr. Sam Chernausek. Additional signers were S. T. May, D. A. Cutnaw, Frank Whitney, W. H. Blume, M. L. Ayers, J. W. Reed, Dr. A. P. Nachtwey, J. W. Malloy, J F. Davis, George Senour, Frank Lish, W. H. Lenneville, P. F. Berringer and A. H. Deiters.

This action affirmed the confidence the people of Dickinson had in the college and in its president This confidence has continued over the years.

President May died April 19, 1929, but his plans for campus development continued under subsequent presidents. Wings on May Hall added 10 class rooms. South Hall, a dormitory housing more than 100 girls, was built on a self liquidating plan rather than on a legislative appropriation. This was the last new building on the campus for 20 years.

Mr. May not only succeeded in having a fine physical plant for the college, he also employed a superior faculty, many of whom continued to teach at the college until they reached retirement age. The first of these was C E. Scott, who came in 1922. He remained until 1927 when he took a position at the State College in Minot. He returned to Dickinson, 1939, to serve as president for 20 years.
Many of the instructors hired by Mr. May and continuing on under Mr. Scott were pleased that the political strife was seemingly over Some of these teachers were Florence Somers, dean of women, Roland Harding, manual arts, Nell Robinson, English, Matilda Stoxen, librarian, Erwin Hatch, education, H. E. Murphy, science, Harry Wienbergen, physical education, Robert E. Smith, history and Arthur Selke, geography. All of the above served 10 years or more Seven continued until they reached retirement age. This gave the college a certain continuity and a loyalty among the alumni.
In addition to the fine physical plant and a young progessive faculty, a constantly expanding course of study was required to meet the needs of a growing student enrollment. Although the main purpose of the college was to train teachers some typically vocational courses were offered. Model High School, later called Campus High, became a full fledged institution with quarters on the third floor of May Hall. Iver Grindstuen, former Supt. Of Schools, Beach, was the principal of Model High, and college teachers were the critics of the student teachers. Business, agriculture, manual arts and similar courses were included in the curriculum.

One year of teacher training entitled a graduate to a second grade elementary certificate while a two year graduate was eligible for a first grade professional certificate. Most of the one year students found positions in the rural schools of the area. Two year graduates were usually employed in town or city schools.

Following President May's death, Robert E. Smith of the faculty was appointed acting president for the remaining months of the school term.

July 1, 1929, Conrad L. Kjerstad became president. Dr. Kjerstad was a well educated man, having received his M.A. and Ph.D. (cum laude) from the University of Chicago. He was serving as dean of the faculty at Valley City Teachers College. His quiet manners and reserve were in deep contrast to Pres. May's outgoing personality. His greatest achievement came January 1932, when he convinced the Board of Administration to change the status of the Normal School from a two year to a four year college with the authority to grant the Bachelor Degree in Education to the four year graduate. This change greatly enhanced the prestige of the school. Also during Pres Kjerstad's administration South Hall (now Klinefelter Hall) was built, wings were added to May Hall and the power plant was constructed.

It was the great depression and its ensuing poverty that finally brought about Dr. Kjerstad's resignation. With wheat at 32 cents a bushel and cattle selling at $3 per hundred weight the legislature cut appropriations to the bone and Governor Langer cut them still further. The faculty of D.S.C. took a 36 per cent cut across the board. The average salary was less than $1400. Many faculty members felt that Kjerstad was not aggressive enough in trying to get more money for salaries, and that he was not giving even as much as the legislature had allowed. There was much dissension and bickering between those who wanted Kjerstad out and those who wanted him to stay.

Several faculty members moved into South Hall in 1934. Not only were their salaries very low, but for several months at a time they received no money at all. The north wing on the first floor became Faculty Row. In such close proximity arguments over the Kjerstad situation often grew heated. All sorts of problems arose in this rather communal living, and small arguments became mountainous, not only over whether or not Kjerstad should be fired, but who would use the bathroom first. After several months of this some members moved out. Even basement or attic apartments were preferable. Then checks for back pay were issued and Dr. Kjerstad's resignation was announced. In his letter to the board, January, 1936, he stated that he was resigning to take a position at the University of North Dakota beginning in August.

This action should have settled the controversy, but it had quite the opposite effect. The townspeople became involved. Who would be the next president?

Perhaps the best known and most popular man in Dickinson and the surrounding area was Harrison Otto Pippin, Stark Co. Supt. Of Schools. He was an excellent speaker, friendly and greatly admired by farmers and ranchers, businessmen and professional people. His name was spoken most often as the best candidate for the college presidency. A huge delegation from Dickinson hired a special tram and went to Bismarck to urge the board to appoint him. Having no degree beyond the B.A. which he had earned by attending Saturday and evening classes at Dickinson State, Pippin was considered by some (especially by five faculty members) as having insufficient education for president. However, considering all the support given him, the board appointed him. Because they had supported him, many people thought he owed them personal favors. He was urged to hire this person or that. If the position were already filled he would be asked to fire the incumbent and hire the daughter, son or friend suggested. The whole thing became a political problem involving the board members of the legislature and disappointed applicants. Former supporters turned against him when he refused to accede to their demands. His two years as president were filled with political bickering.

The board as a whole had never been satisfied with their appointment, feeling that they had been pressured into it.

During the summer of his second year Otto (as he was called by almost everyone in the Slope) took a leave of absence to attend the University of Wyoming in Laramie. During this time an alleged shortage was found in his reports as superintendent of schools. It was said that he had failed to turn in $424 of the two dollar fee charged to those who wrote examinations to qualify them to teach. This apparent shortage was easily explained, but it was used as a reason for his dismissal.

On Pippin's return trip to Dickinson from Laramie (rumor has it) he stopped in Rapid City, where he read in the Bismarck Tribune that he was fired. He turned around and returned to Laramie.
The board was unable to agree on a permanent successor, and E. S. Hatch of the faculty was appointed acting president.

A new board (provided by legislative action to keep the university and the colleges out of politics) was appointed by Gov. Moses. This new Board of Higher Education appointed Charles E. Scott to the presidency at Dickinson State. Mr. Scott had taught at the local college from 1922-1927. Then he became director of training at Minot State Teachers College, where he remained for 12 years. He was favorably known in Dickinson and was welcomed back as president, 1939.

Dr. Belsheim in “The Story of Dickinson State” characterizes Pres. Scott's administration as “Tranquility in Spite of Wars." After clearing up some of the problems left by former presidents, Scott brought about a high degree of cooperation among the faculty. First, he rid the school of five dissenters who had caused most of the trouble before and after the Pippin affair. Two resigned, two were fired and one died.

Financially the school was staggering. More than half of appropriated funds for the biennium had been used or contracted for during the first year. Faculty salaries were low, and the amount based entirely on sex rather than on ability and training. The men received $2000 a year and the women $1800. No payments had been made toward retiring the bonds on South Hall. Unlike former presidents Mr. Scott took the faculty into his confidence regarding financial affairs. This helped to dispel the complaint that salaries were so small in order that the president might have money to turn back to the board thus enhancing his own image as a fine and thrifty administrator.

In spite of the beginning of the war in Europe and fear of the possible involvement of the U.S., the enrollment at the college (including Model High) reached more than 500.

Homecoming, the fall of 1939, was a great success. Pres, and Mrs Scott led the parade on horseback. Both were excellent horsemen They were followed by the chief and princess, Gordon Reinke and Doris Markland, in colorful Indian attire. The “Homecoming Ceremony,” an integral part of Homecoming, attracted a full house in May Hall Auditorium. This was followed by a huge bonfire and a snake dance downtown.

Pres. Scott was a lover of music. The college needed a pipe organ and C E. (as he was known by his intimates) agreed. A fund was started, and with the financial aid of Maude Klinefelter, a magnificent instrument was eventually purchased.

As war clouds darkened, the character of D.S.C. changed. A Civilian Pilot Training program, funded by the Federal Government, was offered by the college. Harry Wienbergen, long time athletic director was named to direct the program. H. E. Murphy and C. L. Woodward taught the ground courses for the prospective flyers. John Worth was flight instructor. Many young men took the course, and some of them enlisted in the Army Air Corps.

The National Guard was called to active duty November, 1940. 13 members of Company K were in the Guard. They withdrew from college and went with the entire North Dakota Guard to Camp Claiborne, La. For training. The commanding officer was Major Frank Richards, son of Wilse Richards. Mr. Richards had been a cowboy on the Texas trail, a rancher and a banker. He was one of those men who had promoted the establishment of the college in Dickinson.

Major Richards and the entire 164th Division were supposed to be gone a year, but their term of service extended over nearly five years. Some returned to enroll at Dickinson State, but some did not return at all, their bodies buried on the battlefields of the South Pacific.

Alpha Sigma Alpha, the first of the “Greeks,” on campus, was organized at Dickinson State, 1941. Leila Woods, dean of women, was faculty advisor of Beta Eta Chapter of ASA.

The enrollment dropped significantly after Dec. 7, 1941, but it was augmented by the arrival of more than 200 men of the V-12 program of the U.S. Navy. The men and some of the officers were housed in South Hall, which was known as “The Ship." The payments for the cadets kept the college alive during the War. This V-12 program was discontinued 1945.

Many veterans returned to college after the war. Housing for them and their families was provided by moving a number of house trailers back of May Hall.

Coach Harry Wienbergen, on leave of absence for two and a half years, returned to the campus. He had served during that time as supervisor of C.P.T. at the colleges and universities of Michigan, Wisconsin and northern Illinois. Athletics flourished with the return of the veterans, many of whom had been on Harry's teams before the war.

The Board of Higher Education voted to allow the teachers colleges to grant B.A. degrees. This was a boom to those veterans who did not want to become teachers.

Pres. Scott was proud indeed when the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools granted accreditation to Dickinson State, 1947. This meant that the top accrediting agency in the U.S. considered the college among the best.

Scott Gymnasium was built, 1953, and named for the president who had worked with the higher board through three legislative sessions to secure an appropriation. The amount was set at $325,000. The building was found to be too small almost at once, but it was the best that could be constructed for that amount of money.

One advantage of the new building was that at freed the stage and lower floor dressing rooms for the use of other departments.

It was a happy moment at the dedication ceremony when Pres. Scott turned the keys of the building over to Coach Wienbergen. This was the first new building on the campus for 20 years.
Another important achievement of the Scott administration was the Theodore Roosevelt Symposium commemorating the 100th anniversary of the birth of the 26th President of the United States. Roosevelt, who had come to the North Dakota Badlands to regain his health, said many times that had he not spent several years in the Badlands, he would never have become President. The theme of the Symposium, under the chairmanship of Dr. C. E. Blackorby, was “Responsible Citizenship.”
The first lecture in the series was delivered by Senator John F. Kennedy. His subject was “The Moral and Spiritual Imperatives of Free Government.” Scott Gym was filled to overflowing. Everyone wanted to see and hear this handsome young man whose name was often mentioned as a candidate for the presidency. Accompanying the Senator was Theodore Sorenson, whose name became known to all America.

The second speaker was Prof. Howard Beal from the University of Wisconsin. He addressed the 1958 graduating class at commencement. His subject was “Theodore Roosevelt's Impact on American Life”.
At the summer commencement Dr. Hermann Hagedorn talked on “Theodore Roosevelt — His Family and His Nation.” Hagedorn had written several books on T.R. and was considered his finest biographer. The fourth speaker was Secretary of the Interior Fred Seaton, who spoke on “Conservation" a subject dear to the heart of Roosevelt. Seaton planted a tree on the campus in memory of T.R. Theodore Roosevelt McKeldin, Governor of Maryland, spoke on "The Individual's Participation in Government."

The entire project was considered a great success. It had been proposed to the Dickinson Teachers College Foundation board of directors, who not only approved but volunteered to raise the funds to finance the Symposium.

Pres. Scott was honored by an invitation to spend three months in West Germany setting up a course of study for the training of teachers.

When C.E. retired, 1959, age 70, he left a college well organized with definite goals for each department. A banquet was held in his honor in Scott Gym. Many prominent educators throughout the state attended. A part of the program, arranged by Mrs. Francis Ray, depicted the events in Scott's life. It was based on the T-V program “This Is Your Life”.

Mr. Scott died suddenly Oct. 7, 1967. The entire area felt the loss of this fine man.

With the retirement of Pres. Scott, 1959, the Board of Higher Education interviewed a number of candidates and finally settled on Dr. Oscar A. DeLong. They could have made no better choice. At the time of his appointment Dr. DeLong was the president of Mayville State. He said he wanted to come to Dickinson because it had more potential for growth. As an undergraduate at Dakota Wesleyan he had starred in both football and basketball. His first job was at Geddes, S.D. where he coached the athletic teams. He earned his MA. By attending summer sessions at the University of Iowa and his Ph.D. at Colorado State College, Greeley. After some years of teaching in South Dakota he came to North Dakota as Dean of Education at Minot State College. The next year he became dean of the college, Minot, and in 1954 the board chose him as President of Mayville State College. Dickinson was indeed fortunate that in 1959 he was selected to head D.S.C.

Dr. DeLong was a very orderly person. He divided the administrative duties into five categories with a director at the head of each. These five persons were responsible to the president. This distribution of authority worked very well.

A serious problem to confront the new president was the enrollment. If the college were to show progress there must be a continuous growth in the student body. Dr. DeLong wanted every senior high school student in the Slope to know about Dickinson State and what it had to offer. He appointed W. Ferron Halvorsen, director of public relations. A well constructed plan was devised. Mr. Halvorsen, with various members of the faculty visited every high school west of the Missouri River (and some beyond) showing slides and explaining the possibilities students might have at D.S.C. The drive was successful and the enrollment increased by more than one third from 1959-1961. The figures for those years included the students in Campus High. The high school curriculum was discontinued, 1963, but even without the high school students, the college enrollment was 912 for the fall quarter, 1963. Four years later it was 1525.

With a growing enrollment, DeLong was free to continue a building program. Selke Hall, a residence hall for men was under construction, and the library was in the blue-print stage when Dr. DeLong became president. Selke Hall was so named in honor of Arthur Selke, a well known professor of geography who had retired from D.S.C. after 33 years of service. Selke Hall was a self-liquidating project but for the a corridor, making it easily accessible from classrooms. Small faculty offices were constructed on the lower floor. It was a beautiful building and Librarian Matilda Stoxen was proud to move into it She was extremely proud when the announcement was made that the new building was to be named Stoxen Library. Matilda was in the first graduating class of the Normal School. She was employed by Pres. May soon after her graduation from the Library School at the University of Minnesota. She remained at the college for about 40 years.

In all his building. Dr. DeLong arranged to have the lawns around each building seeded or sodded at once. There were no unsightly piles of dirt or debris left at the site. New buildings on the campus seemed to spring up over night.

Housing for married students had been approved by the 1959 Legislature under the self liquidating plan. Dr. DeLong secured a loan, and in 1961 24 pleasant apartments were ready for occupancy.
Money from assessments voted by the students in the 50's had accumulated to the point where a student center could be built. With the rest of the cost met by a loan, the building was constructed, 1963. Here the cafeteria, snack bar ball room, and, with an addition providing for a swimming pool, many student activities were under one roof.

A home for the president was built on the campus, but facing Fifth Street. It was a charming house, and Mrs. DeLong was a gracious hostess. Groups of students, faculty and friends were often entertained there.

1963, the science department moved into a beautiful new building. It was named Murphy Hall in honor of Harold E. Murphy, long time faculty member and head of the science and mathematics division. Murph, as he was known by everyone, died suddenly in 1967.

A new residence hall for women was built on the corner of the campus between Fifth St. and Eighth Ave. It was named Woods Hall honoring Leila G. Woods, who had served as dean of women for 25 years before her retirement, 1964.

The Division of Speech and Theatre Arts under the direction of Bryan Gackle built Sosondowah Outdoor Theatre back of May Hall. ‘Sosondowah’ was an Indian word meaning ‘Great Nights’. Many popular shows have been played there since its opening, 1965.

Another outdoor facility was Whitney Stadium. Frank Whitney, a Dickinson business man, had offered to provide $50,000 in his will for the purpose of building a stadium. The 1967 Legislature appropriated $300 000 provided the college could raise a similar amount. Harry Wienbergen spent most of the first year of his retirement visiting alumni and friends to solicit donations. Eventually the stadium was built, and the football and track teams had a new home.

Two high rise dormitories west of May Hall have been built The first was named Pulver Hall in honor of L. G. Pulver, who served many years as head of the commerce department and as dean of men. Under his direction the Homecoming Ceremonial was presented each year. Alumni remember this event with affection, especially those who were elected each year as chief or princess.

The second high rise was christened DeLong Hall honoring the man whose drive and determination had made vast changes in the physical plant of D.S.C.

While he was working to secure new buildings, Pres. DeLong did not neglect the older facilities. May Hall, Stickney and Klinefelter Halls were refurbished with paint, carpeting and furniture. Much work during these 10 years of building was done by Palmer Aasmundstad, business manager and superintendent of buildings and grounds.

The most recent addition to the buildings on the campus was a new gymnasium. Most of the money for its construction was granted by the federal government. It was completed, 1973, and in December of that year the dedication ceremony was held. It was named Wienbergen Hall. Many friends, and several relatives came. Harry was able to give a short talk in response to all the nice things said about him. He was not in good health, however, and he died March 6, 1974. Roger Huffman, one of “Harry's Boys” succeeded him when he retired, 1966. He was pleased that his ideas and ideals were continued by Roger.

As D.S.C. was known as an “area college”, Dr. DeLong added several vocational courses to the curriculum One of the more important was the two year nursing program. This course has proved popular with area students.

Dr. DeLong retired as president at age 65 as required by the board. However he continued to teach at the college for the next five years. His 15 years’ association with D.S.C. was one of great accomplishment. He set certain goals for the school and for himself, and he did not rest until these goals became reality.

Chosen to succeed Pres. DeLong was Dr. R. C. Gillund, former vice president at Valley City State College. He was more informal than many. He was known all over the area as “Cam.” In an interview by Turner Lake of the Dickinson Press, he commented on both the good and bad things that occurred during his eight years at Dickinson State. In 1970 enrollment reached its highest peak, 1655 students registered for the fall quarter. After that the numbers began to decline until fall 1976, the enrollment dropped to under a 1000.

This situation was due to a number of factors — repeal of the draft law, two year junior colleges in nearby cities, lower birth rates, a decreasing farm population. Decreased enrollment meant a smaller faculty, and several positions were eliminated. It's hard to fire people who are doing a good job, and Dr. Gillund was forced to do so. To many people college progress is measured by enrollment. Neither increase nor decrease in the student body can be attributed entirely to the president.

During the past eight years several positive accomplishments have occurred. Accreditation for an additional 10 years has been granted by the two most important accrediting agencies in the U.S. Accreditation by the North Dakota League of Nurses for the Associate Degree in Nursing was also granted. Implementation of 11 vocational-technical programs, completion of Whitney and Wienbergen Hall, a faculty senate are just a few of the actions on the positive side of Dr. Gillund's administration.

Fall 1976, at the annual dinner for faculty and staff Pres. Gillund announced that he was retiring at the end of the school year, June 30, 1977. He and his wife have moved to California.

Now a new president, the seventh, has taken over at Dickinson State. He is Dr. Albert A. Watrel, former president of Slippery Rock College, Butler, Pa. The city and surrounding area wish him well.

It would be impossible to list all the men and women graduates who have succeeded in their lives and have brought credit to Dickinson State. For the past five years, at Homecoming time, certain alumni have been singled out and honored for their accomplishments. Each receives the Alumni Achievement Award. Those so designated thus far as Alumni Chiefs are:
1971 — Durward Balch and Eilard Thompson
1972 — Blanche Harding and William Wiidakas
1973 — Gordon Olson
1974 — Ward Beck and O. J. Baggenstoss
1975 — Paul Ebeltoft, Gordon Reinke and Robert Stranik
1976 — Donald Cuskelly, Eugene Hagburg and Ralph Newman
Each of these graduates has succeeded in his or her field, and the college is proud of them.

It should be noted that the college athletic teams are no longer known as “Savages.” They are now “Blue Hawks”. This change came about when 12 Indian students insisted that the name was an insult to their race and heritage. All reference to the Indian tradition, including the ceremonial honoring the chosen chief and princess has been abandoned and other activities take place at homecoming.
Many students have received financial assistance through loans, grants and scholarships. Without this help some would not have been able to attend college.

Students may choose any of the extra-curricular activities sponsored by the college. In athletics and in music many talented graduates have made their mark as have those in other activities. Election to the student senate is highly prized.

Social life has been augmented by the organization of several national fraternities and sororities.
Faculty members who served a long time will be remembered by many former students.

Among them were Maude Klinefelter, business office, 1918; Florence Somers, dean of women, 1924; Roland Ha ding, manual arts, 1924; Nell Robinson, English, 1925; Matilda Stoxen, librarian, 1926; H. E. Murphy, science; Arthur Selke, geography; E. S. Hatch, education and dean of men; Harry Wienbergen, athletics; Robert Smith, history. These five men joined the faculty in 1927. All remained at the college until retirement or death ended their teaching careers.

Later appointees included Zoe Beiler, art; L. G. Pulver, commerce and dean of men; Leila G. Woods, dean of women; Charles A. Johnson, teacher training; John Thompson, mathematics; Osbourne Belsheim, music and vice president for administration; John MacDonald, science; Florence Tucker, English; Clinton Sheffield art; Loraine Schumacher, physical education. Many others deserve much credit for the success and for the continuity of the college.

In 1978, D.S.C. will celebrate its 60th year. It has changed greatly from those early days in the Elks Club and it will certainly change in the next 60. It has been a decided factor in the growth of Dickinson. Stark County and all of the Slope have benefited. In the state and in the nation it is recognized as an outstanding college.

References:Osbourne T. Belsheim THE STORY OF DICKINSON STATE
Ozzie Belsheim helped me immeasurably in writing this paper.