Mary Ann Barnes Williams



Adobe Walls Station: The eighth relay station on the overland mail route from Bismarck to Fort Keogh, Mont. It was established near Double Wall Creek, 1878 on Sec. 31-137-99; so called for the sod or adobe house in which the stable boys lived. It was discontinued, 1882 with the completion of the N.P.R.R.

Burdette:A short-lived rural post office established in the early '80's on the C. Burdette Williams place, which was near the T. F. Roberts ranch.

Hungary: A rural post office in the south central part of the county established Dec. 28, 1900 in the home of the postmaster, Frank Lefor, who named it for his homeland. It was rescinded Feb. 27, 1901; reestablished Feb. 23, 1906 with John Grundhauser, postmaster; discontinued Nov. 30, 1906 and mail sent to Gladstone.

Knife River:This N.P.R.R. station 3½ miles west of Hebron was established, 1882, named for Knife River, which appears to owe its name to the circumstances, that its valley was one of the more important sources of flint used by Indians for knives arrow points and other implements. Pat Keogh, section foreman, with his family came from Swift County, Minn., the first residents here. They lived in a portable wooden building, which they sodded up for warmth in the winter, Charles Krauth and Ferdinand Leutz, July 1883, erected and operated the first store in which the post office was established Jan. 14, 1885 with Charles Krauth, postmaster; discontinued Oct. 22, 1885 and mail sent to Hebron.

Lehigh: Established in Sec. 8-139-95 in 1883; named for Lehigh, Pa., both being coal mining towns. F. Reilley opened the first coal mine in the early 1880's; soon after 1900 the Pittsburgh Coal Co. operated the mines.

Moltke:On the overland relay mail-stage route from Bismarck to Fort Keogh, Mont., a few miles west of the present town of Hebron on the east part of Sec. 34-140-91, two enterprising merchants, Charles Krauth and Ferdinand Leutz, built a trading post, July 1883. They named their establishment after German field marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, hoping to attract German settlers to this nucleus of a city. Business was brisk for a short while with the travelers on this trail, gold seekers, Indians, buffalo hunters, cattlemen, soldiers — until lightning destroyed the store and the proprietors moved to the site of Hebron.

Strehlow: This rural post office named for tis township was established June 8, 1894 with Horace W. Smith, postmaster. The township was named for Alfred Strehlow, a local cattle and sheep rancher in partnership with Casper Getz.

Zenith: Henry Truelson, former mayor of Duluth, Minn., purchased a coal mine in Sec. 6-139-98 with a railroad siding constructed to it, which was the nucleus of a railroad station and village. He named it for the so-called “Zenith City” which is Duluth. A post office was established Oct 23, 1903 with Zola N. Truelson, postmaster.

Daglum In 1900 an inland settlement began in Sec. 3 Simpson Twp. In the southwestern section of the county named for John O. Daglum, who erected and operated the first store in which he established the post office Oct. 12, 1906 and was appointed postmaster. The post office was discontinued March 31, 1920 and mail sent to South Heart.

Spalding: A rural post office Aug. 24, 1900 in the ranch home of the postmaster, Peter Kilzer; discontinued Nov. 14, 1903 and mail sent to Richardton. It may have been named for Burleigh F. Spalding, a prominent attorney in territorial affairs, member of the Constitutional Convention, 1889.

From Origins of North Dakota Place Names by Mary Ann Barnes Williams Submitted by Lorraine Dohrmann